"i heard you were a poet - but a poet of no words?"

6.22.2010

sonnet

yes, i am a captive in my own mind
you ask me often what is wrong with me –
some thing, you think, invented in my mind.
instead you need to turn your head around
and look at the world through eyes looking new
and place your ears on the placing of your heart
and be so beleaguered with feelings new
that you cannot speak – only sit still and breathe
this is everyday for me – a breathlessness
for all the things ignored and written off
my fingers will write until breathlessness
releases them to be free and say to you
what your own heart should say – ‘hold fast, hold fast’
soon the unknown will be known and you will
lose all knowledge. learn while the light holds fast
and stay the night with me. i will teach you.

No comments: